Sunday, June 29, 2014

South Georgia backroads dereliction

Cruising down a quiet backroad near Quitman Georgia

this lovely old homestead appeared

looking very lonely and much the worse for wear

ravaged by time and missing porches and architectural trims

I was thinking of stopping to ask neighboring folks (always so kind and friendly) about the history of this old place but realized I was just procrastinating the trip home. The drive to SW Florida gets longer every time--but some backroads wandering always makes it more fun.

5 comments:

Artsy VaVa said...

It's so sad to see beautiful old homes like that abandoned. I'd love to know the history too. I hope someone steps in and saves her!

time worn interiors said...

You find the best abandoned places!
tot

Bohemian said...

Oh how I always Daydream of Rescuing and Restoring such forgotten Architectural Treasures as these old Abandoned Beauties! I am always drawn to the Derelict and Abandoned Historic Properties... too bad we can't Save them all. But even in their benign neglect they are truly Magnificent... Modern structures just cannot compare in the Character and Historic Value.

Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

Unknown said...

Hi, I love your pics. I live in North Florida and ha e seen pictures of this house before. I'd love to see it in person to remember the road it was on?

sassytrash said...

Hi Christy....thanks so much for your comment! I have tried to remember what road I was on that day but I just am not sure! I was traveling north to go back home so it may have been a side road out of downtown that heads northeast up to toward the interstate--that is my best guess! Sorry that is a bit vague!