Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Visiting Jimmy

I love to drive out and visit Jimmy Poss at his row of historic shops along the railroad line in Carlton, GA.....especially when I find pieces like this one with the awesome chippy, green patina!!
I don't get out here as often as I would like to, but when I do, there is always lots of interesting architectural antiques, and tons of cool stuff you just don't see around town.

Jimmy is one of the nicest people ever---you really need to come out and visit him if you are ever in the Athens area.

I never get enough of wandering through the cool stuff he has tucked away in every building....
....and if you don't see what you are looking for, just ask, 'cuz he probably has it around there somewhere.



He kindly opened this old house up next door, and let me wander around.....there are dozens of cool shutters out back, and his wife also has some really neat vintage clothing, hats, books and lots of other stuff to look through.



I loved this interesting old parasol--it seemed to be made out of some sort of paper.

If you get out that way, Jimmy is open Fri, Sat, and Sun from 12-5 and you can reach him at 706-797-3317

From here you can drive South to the little town of Lexington, which has several antiques shops and lots of historic homes. We visited there the other day, and I was really surprised to learn about the history of that area!


16 comments:

A Wild Thing said...

Oh my, let the drooling begin...but is it affordable...architectural stuff is so pricey these days...but I love his style and want it all!!!

countrycharisma said...

Hi Nancy! Looks like a great place to dig in. My husband and I love those places. The mantel is just perfect as is. Hope you are doing well and the job hunt has been fruitful. blessings, carrell

red.neck chic said...

Okay - Seriously - If you got me there you would literally have to drag me out. LOL I'd have a FIELD DAY!!!

;-D robelyn

Unknown said...

I love hearing the 'stories' behind you picking visits! Wonderful places! Thanks for sharing!!

ChiPPy-SHaBBy said...

All I can say is OMG!*!*! Loving ALL the FaB time-worn PaTiNa!!!
Jeanine, ChiPPy!-SHaBBy!

Unknown said...

OMG....just popped into your blog and I LOVE it! THAT is MY kind of place. Too bad it's not closer to me...I'd be there this weekend. Happy Fall Ya'll from Houston, TX

Shabby Vintage Junk said...

Oh what a FASCINATING place....I would have made off like a bandit with that green mantle in your first pic.... ** insert pic of Homer DROOLING here ** ....!!

Cheers from Oz,
Tamarah :o)

time worn interiors said...

Wow! That is some cool stuff! I would love to go visit him! Maybe one of these days!

Good luck at the show this weekend!

Theresa

Vicki said...

Great post! I would love to "rat around" inside his place. Really fun pics. Thanks for sharing.

Prior said...

So awesome~ I would never leave! Lezlee

Unknown said...

Nancy: I have heard of this guy. He posted some old bead board on Craig's list & my friend wanted to go. I thought she meant Carrolton, GA which is not far from where our little town is in AL...had no idea she meant Carelton. That was too far for us to drive in one day,,,but now we may need to plan a road trip. Thanx for sharing. Hope to see u at the CL Market next weekend. Tiff

vintagesue said...

it has been soooo long since i drove to athens!! i remember when i moved to georgia a million years ago and drove to athens the first time hoping for a b52 sighting or a mike stipe sighting...haha...anyway, i remember driving thru all these small towns and seeing little stores, salvage area and old houses and thinking what a great place georgia is!!
if i ever move back to that area, i'm am taking a road trip!!!
thanks
sue

One Shabby Old House said...

What is it about all this stuff that makes us all so crazy! It just makes my heart sing to find it. I would sure love to visit that place! Thanks for sharing it with us my friend and visiting me today.
Hugs
Becky

Two Wild Roses Antiques said...

Ill take one of everything!! Love it all.
:)
Jamie

Sea Witch said...

Wow, I have got to make a pilgrimage out here. Talk about the mother ship of neat stuff. Thanks for sharing and I will let him know that Miss Sassy sent me. SEa Witch

Lana Manis said...

Ok, I definitely see another trip to GA in my future!