Sunday, October 24, 2010

Along the Antebellum Trail

On a beautiful autumn weekend in Dixie, football may be KING----but pickin' should at least be QUEEN, right? (That's ANTIQUE pickin' of course----most of the cotton around here has already been picked)

While everyone else was heading to the games or the mountains, I drove South---swapping the view of car bumpers for the view of stately homes along Georgia's historic Antebellum Trail---hoping to find two of my favorite things: good pickin' and architectural dereliction to photograph.

On the way to Madison--my first stop on the AT (which runs from Athens to Macon)--I went through Bostwick, a tiny town known for cotton and cyclists (this being a favorite scenic route to ride) and guilt/envy already sets in....I should be out riding my bike! (I spend more time on two wheels WITHOUT an engine these days) But it's really hard to carry antiques that way, right?

Bostwick is home to the Cotton Gin Festival the first Saturday in November, and there were trailers full of newly-picked cotton behind the working gin that sits along the road.



Madison has the largest National Historic District in the state, and is a show-stopper with all the incredibly restored homes and the scenic downtown area.....but I crave dereliction, so I press on....

Eatonton and Milledgeville are next on the trail--Eatonton has a rich literary history (think Alice Walker, Joel Chandler Harris, and Andalusia, the home of Flannery O'Connor which is nearby) and Milledgeville used to be the state capitol, so it has some incredible buildings and stately homes.

(wonder what the INSIDE of this upper floor room loooks like!)

Love that classic Southern architecture! (Compared to the huge elegant mansions--this must have been a middle class home?)

While at the Eatonton Antiques Market (I did find a great chippy green table there), I asked the owner if he knew of any interesting "un-restored" historic homes in the area, and he told me about a cool place at the very end of a nearby road, and said, "you'll come to some gate posts, but just drive on in--I don't think any one lives there".

I drove to the gate posts, and was dying to go in....but what if someone DID live there? My curiosity got the best and I drove towards the house....

....it had an interesting roof-line and what seemed like unusual architecture for this area, but it was a bit hard to see with the overgrown bushes.

As I came closer, I noticed lace curtains in the windows and porch lights on, and decided to beat a hasty retreat---it was too pretty of a day to be shot at!



On a side street, south of Milledgeville was the KING of derelict mansions: an old "summer home" of an early 1900's governor.....

This place had the most incredible iron fencing and posts! and what a cool mansion! It looked empty, but apparantly someone did live here.....barking dogs soon came running out to protect it.

I couldn't get very good pics of the house and grounds, but it was really fabulous!
I'm so glad all these towns, homes, and history along the AT escaped Sherman's burning march to Savannah!

I didn't find much in the way of good pickin's, but I did get to meet some interesting people! (be sure to stop by "Jean's Antiques"-- in a little house just south of the gov's mansion above)

From the cotton fields and pecan groves, to the mountains and (my personal favorite) the coastline----I really heart this state!

11 comments:

sugar Creek said...

wow, those were really beautiful homes. Love that gate as well. I'd say you still had a great day!

time worn interiors said...

Lovning the old house with iron fence! WOW!
Theresa
aka:TAOT

Unknown said...

Thanks for the ride. Love the delelict mansions...noticed the wreath on the upper door of the last one! Great Sunday drive!

Unknown said...

I have never been to Georgia , but I would love to visit one day and see the historic Antebellum Trail, all those lovely old homes , yep , thats another one for the bucket list.

just call me jo said...

Please take me with you next time. My heart is in Dixie.

NanaDiana said...

I don't know how I found my way here but what a great tour! I will be back for sure! Diana

Diane and Kelly said...

You had me at "dereliction"!

Thanks for the fun tour!

Kelly
Second Hand Chicks

A Wild Thing said...

I would've so loved to been a trespassin' with ya, what grand old architecture, don't you just sigh and drool as you drive by!

I got rid of my cable TV for the first time in my adult life...WOW...I was on the computer from 6:00 this AM till 3:00 this afternoon playing with the blogs, I love the new formatting, so you can use your own pictures for the background.

I wanted a paper trail(more or less)for the new shop's construction and projects and it's metamorphoses through the seasons, so maybe there will be some interest in the Spring...by someone, who knows these days.

But my theme will be My Secret Garden...I'm going to build a fence out of old arched storm windows to hide me away from the highway and plant birdhouse gourds on the arbor, so when they start to grow they will get really long hanging off the boards, what great draperies huh!

I'm excited for the Spring for the shop to evolve into something magical...very gardeny and lots of bird stuff and maybe some fairies too...I better get busy huh!!!

Obviously I have way too much time on my hands...ha!

s

Cammie said...

Love the story, I want to get in my car and go there right now!

Sea Witch said...

Love these trips of yours. I don't take them often as I should. Did visit Carlton this weekend and said hello to Jimmy for you. Oh what treasure he has. Your Queen of Hearts booth looks wonderful. I love your bed spring posy holders. Sea Witch

" SHABBY JUNK" said...

Great old houses! Love the iron fencing! ~judy~