Sunday, May 20, 2012

Mermaid Dreams

While searching for coupons to the Weeki Wachee mermaid shows (my little mermaid Kayla gets to see the show next week for the first time!) I came across this stunning photo taken at the underwater theater in 1947. 

Water was the habitat of my youth, and this photo brought back lovely memories of happy times spent floating along face to the sky in the gentle Gulf of Mexico while listening to a muted and magical underwater world.

As I poured through the old Weeki Wachee photo gallery I totally indulged myself in a little 'mermaid madness' here in anticipation of the upcoming trip back to FL.

 I hope I find time to float back into a serene state of mind during this trip home again!






 I've seen the old mermaid movies a dozen times, and still love them all!






5 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Oh- I have always loved Mermaids...and used to take everyone that would go up to Weeki Wachee.

Did you ever read the Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd? It is a darling story. Blessings & I hope you have a great Sunday- xo Diana

Little Mermaid party favors said...

This maybe old, but this is one of the best shows!

Sea Witch said...

Ahhh fellow mermaid, what a marvelous show you will share with your daughter. The last time I saw this show I was 10 (1964). Will have to make a pilgrimage to Florida to see this again. Sigh. I also love the old mermaid movies. Now you have me wanting to see them all again. Have a swimmingly grand time. Sea Witch

Linda Lindley said...

We have a hardback book of Weeki Wachee- very cool! I'd love to see it now. Does it still have a vintage feel? Beautiful images, thanks for sharing! Need to catch up with you- hope all is well- Lin

Rebecca said...

I don't know if I have seen any of these but they look interesting. I love the old movies
Blessings today
Rebecca